I can’t believe we have less than four months left for the year, where has the time gone. I have a lot of scrapping still left to do this year. How is your end of summer/beginning of fall turning out?
We have a great Featured Designer this month… FranB Designs!! I am sure many of you are familiar with her work, followed her for her magical mouse blog train goodies and have signed up with her newsletter, right!! If not, take a moment to learn a little more about our awesome designer and then head over to her blog and sign up for everything!!
Her featured kit this month is ‘Books! Books! Books” and it is just adorable, just look at those worms!! I love the colors she choose and how she stepped away from the standard school colors for most kits. I can see many fun layouts being created with this fun kit. What pictures can you see with this kit?
FranB also has some other really delightful kits that can go with you all your travel photos, activity photos, or just random photos.
Those who love her kits come up with some very cute layouts. I just love the creativity!!
If you are not familiar with her products yet, take a minute to browse her shop and I’m sure they will catch your eyes!
Now let’s take a moment to learn more about FranB!!
Who are you?
- My name is Fran and I live in Indiana with my husband and son, who is 14. My son just started high school and plays football and is very enthusiastic about it. We love to watch him play. I like to spend time with my family. I read lots and lots of books, mostly YA fiction and I like to play games!
Tell us your design name and what inspired it:
- Well, my design name is my name, so that’s pretty easy to figure out. I started selling here at WLS when it’s doors first opened in November 2011. I designed freebies on my blog before that.
How many hours a day or week do you dedicate to designing, and how long does it usually take to complete a kit?
- I don’t have a set time per week that I design. I tend to design in phases… for a few weeks I will design like crazy and then a couple weeks not at all. I have to force myself to go back, usually. I design in PSCS6 and typically do papers first, then alpha and then elements. I am very OCD organized, so I plan kits way in advance. I collect color palettes and themes that I want to do and plan what sorts of elements I want in the kit before I create them. Then it doesn’t take very long to make the kit, since I don’t have to do any thinking. Sometimes picking colors is the longest part of the process!
What inspires your designs most?
- I am often inspired by colors. Sometimes themes. I don’t really like to do repeat themes. Each holiday that gets a lot of kits like Christmas is hard for me each year… I always feel like I’ve done that before and don’t really want to do it again!
If you’re running low on design mojo, where do you go to kick start your creativity?
- When I am low on mojo I force myself to restart. I take a few days or a couple weeks away until I am behind on kits and then I just have to sit down, pick a kit that is already planned and just do it. That’s my plan for tomorrow!
What part of designing is most challenging to you?
- Trying new things that don’t come naturally to me.
Slippers or barefoot?
- Socks! But I do wear slippers in the winter because my feet get so cold!
Favorite TV show?
I don’t watch tv! *gasp* But when I do, it’s usually HGTV.
Where is the farthest you have been from home?
- I grew up in Chicago and live in Indiana now. I’ve been to Hawaii to the west and Niagara Falls in the northeast and Bahamas in the southeast.
Do you have a muse or someone that inspires you?
- Listening to music always helps me design. I often listen to Disney music or 80s music or Broadway music while designing.
Books or Movies?
- Books! Typically most movies based on books suck.
Facebook or Twitter?
- I hate twitter.
Skirts or Jeans?
- Yoga pants!
Vintage or Modern?
- Modern. I am not a vintagey person at all.
Cats or Dogs?
- I had 3 cats, and love them. Dogs are awesome too, but I’ve never owned one. My hubby is not a fan of furry pets.
What inspired you to create this month’s featured kit?
- My love for reading books! Everyone needs a book nook to curl up and read!
Tell us about your featured designer’s month, sales, promotions, gifts… /
- My entire shop is 50% off all month long! Sale price will show up at checkout.
What can we expect to see in your store on the next weeks?
- I am always thinking of new kits to create. If there is something you would be interested in me creating, drop me a message!
Are you already working on some new releases?
- Always working on new releases! My Lovely Colors kit will be out soon and you will love it! (Or may have already been out depending on when you read this!!)
Thank you so much FranB for sharing with us and allowing us to get to know you a little better. I am totally with you on the yoga pants!! Don’t forget to check out and join in on her Featured Designer challenge, I know she would love to see what you create!